The ADI-2 FS is a compact and extremely flexible 2-channel Hi-End AD/DA-converter. The small 9.5" unit offers first-class AD/DA-conversion from/to SPDIF, AES and ADAT, at up to 192 kHz. Its ability to use SPDIF, AES and ADAT format provides outstanding compatibility. Whatever it is - simply get connected!
Balanced analog inputs and outputs, monitoring via headphone output, SteadyClock FS for optimal conversion quality, 3-stage hardware input and output level control and the additional modes D-D and A-A turn the ADI-2 FS into a universal tool and a flexible problem solver. Its pro-class sound qualifies it also as extension for other premium converters.
The ADI-2 FS is equipped with two servo-balanced analog line inputs via XLR/phones combo jacks, simultaneously usable balanced XLR and unbalanced phone jacks, an adjustable High Power headphone output on the front, an ADAT compatible optical SPDIF I/O, and a coaxial SPDIF I/O (RCA, AES/EBU compatible). These extensive connectivity options provide most flexible and uncompromised signal transmission.
The analog inputs use the advanced circuit design of the highly acclaimed ADI-2 Pro, thus offering outstandingly low noise and distortion as well as an extended frequency response. Three different settings for input and output levels provide perfect compatibility in the analog domain. A further highlight is SteadyClock FS,RMEs latest clock technology for maximum jitter suppression and lowest self-jitter. It guarantees superb sound quality completely independent from the quality of the current reference clock. The ADI-2 FS also uses the conversion technology of the ADI-2 Pro: the AK557x family and the AK4490 not only offer 192 kHz sampling frequency and lowest distortion, but also a dynamic range of 120 dBA.
But the ADI-2 has more to offer than tremendous sound. It also provides exciting digital connectivity. Its coaxial RCA SPDIF I/O has a switchable Channel Status to make it fully AES/EBU compatible (cable adapter required). The optical TOSLINK I/Os can handle up to 192 kHz and also serve as ADAT I/O, even at 192 kHz. An operation with SPDIF input and ADAT output or vice versa is supported, in both AD/DA and D-D mode.
The clear layout and distinct labeling of the front panel with its functional buttons, the informative status display, a 6 LED level meter as well as the tidy back panel make it easy to operate the unit right out of the box.
With input selection set to DIG the device works as a digital format converter with simultaneous monitoring. The AD converter is disabled, the DA converter still used for monitoring the digital input signal, at the rear outputs and the headphone output. A format conversion is possible between all options - SPDIF coaxial (or AES) with Professional or Consumer Status, as well as ADAT.
The output selection ANA connects the analog output circuitry directly to the analog input circuitry. The DA converter is no longer active. The AD converter continues to convert the analog input signal to SPDIF (AES) or ADAT, with the outputs SPDIF coaxial and ADAT optical simultaneously available. This 'analog bypass' allows the ADI-2 FS to be used as an analog preamp. Gain and attenuation can be achieved via the level adjustment of input and output, or even fully variable when the VOL potentiometer is inserted. In this mode, the ADI-2 FS supports analog levels up to +22 dBu. In addition, it can work as a converter balanced to unbalanced and vice versa.
The front panel knob adjusts the volume of the headphone output. It can also be inserted into the rear signal path via a simple key combination, so that the rear line outputs can be steplessly adjusted in level as the phones output. The choice of three hardware levels stays available, thus allows for a better matching of the desired levels on front and rear outputs.
The ADI-2 FS uses a down-scaled version of the ADI-2 Pro's Extreme Power output stage. With power of up to 0.7 watts per channel, 0.1 ohm output impedance, a maximum output level of +19 dBu and very low THD (-110 dB), the High Power² circuitry is universally applicable. A relay ensures click-free on and off switching.
Power is supplied via an included, external switching power supply with lockable connector. Thanks to a wide operating voltage range of 9 - 15 volts, the ADI-2 FS can be easily used with battery or rechargeable battery, thus also for mobile use. It is also fully suitable for e.g. a galvanic isolation in the laboratory or measuring applications.
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +19 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 121 dBA
- Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 5 Hz – 20.5 kHz
- Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 3 Hz – 45.5 kHz
- Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 2 Hz – 92.7 kHz
- THD @ -1 dBFS: -114 dB, 0.00015 %
- THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 %
- Channel separation: > 110 dB
- Max Input Level AD: +19 dBu
- Input: XLR or 1/4" TRS, electronically balanced
- Input impedance balanced: 36 kOhm, unbalanced: 18 kOhm
- Input sensitivity switchable: +4 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu @ 0 dBFS
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
- Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 10 Hz – 20.2 kHz
- Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 5 Hz – 44.9 kHz
- Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 3 Hz – 88 kHz
- THD @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 %
- THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -110 dB, 0.00032 %
- THD @ -3 dBFS: -116 dB, 0.00016 %
- Channel separation: > 110 dB
- Max Output Level DA: +19 dBu
- Output: XLR balanced, 1/4" TRS unbalanced/balanced
- Output impedance: XLR balanced 150 Ohm, TS unbalanced 100 Ohm
- Output level switchable: +4 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu @ 0 dBFS
DA - Phones
as DA, except:
- Output: 6.3 mm stereo TRS, unbalanced
- Output impedance: 0.1 Ohm
- Output level at 0 dBFS, load 100 Ohm or up: +19 dBu (6.9 Vrms)
- Max power 32 Ohm load: 0.7 W per channel (0.01% THD, +16 dBu, 4.9 Vrms)
- THD 32 Ohm load @ +15 dBu: -110 dB, 0.0003 %
Mode ANA (Analog In to Analog Out)
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +19 dBu: 123 dB RMS unweighted, 126 dBA
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 119 dB RMS unweighted, 122 dBA
- Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +4 dBu: 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
- Frequency response -0.5 dB: 1 Hz – 120 kHz
- THD+N @ +19 dBu: -116 dB, 0.00016%
- Channel separation: > 120 dB
- Maximum input / output level: +22 dBu
- Clocks: Internal, ADAT In, SPDIF In
- Jitter suppression of external clocks: > 50 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Effective clock jitter influence on AD and DA conversion: near zero
- PLL ensures zero dropout, even at more than 100 ns jitter
- Digital Bitclock PLL for trouble-free varispeed ADAT operation
- Supported sample rates with external clocking (SPDIF): 28 kHz up to 200 kHz
- Supported sample rates with external clocking (ADAT): 40 kHz up to 49 kHz
- Internal clocks: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 64 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176,8 kHz, 192 kHz
- Digital input coaxial ground-free transformer coupled
- Formats: optical (TOSLINK), RCA (SPDIF, AES/EBU compatible)
- Format Consumer SPDIF according to IEC 60958
- Format Professional according to AES3-1992 Amendment 4
- RCA, according to IEC 60958
- High-sensitivity input stage RCA: < 0.2 Vpp input level
- Output voltage RCA Consumer 0.7 V, Professional 1.4 V
- Single Wire mode, sample rate 28 kHz up to 200 kHz
- 1 x optical, according to IEC 60958
- Sample rate 28 kHz up to 200 kHz
- Standard: 8 channels 24 bit, up to 48 kHz
- Double Speed (S/MUX): 4 channels 24 bit 96 kHz
- Quad Speed (S/MUX4) : 2 channels 24 bit 192 kHz
- Included power supply: external switching PSU, 100 - 240 V AC, 2 A, 24 Watts
- Idle power consumption: 5,2 W (430 mA @ 12V)
- Max. power consumption: 10 Watts (830 mA @ 12 V)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 215 x 44 x 130 mm (8.5" x 1.73" x 5.1")
- Weight: 900 g ( 2.0 lbs)
- Temperature range: +5° up to +50° Celsius (41° F up to 122°F)
- Relative humidity: < 75%, non condensing